We’re proud to announce the release of ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd version 1.3.0.
More information about ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd is available on the following page, including download link and release notes:
Below is a list of enhancements and new features made available in this release:
- This version brings a new user interface with many improvements that allows for instance the Regional header name to be 12 characters instead of 8. The overall layout of the frontend now has the menu on the left side instead of at the top. Sections now allow for more settings to be added including more menu sections for future releases.
- For the Computer section there’s a new Validate button that performs an Active Directory computer object lookup to see if the specified name already exists.
- A new section named Authenticate have been added providing the capability to authenticate a user in Active Directory. User name, password and domain name are used in combination to securely and encrypted validate the user if he or she is a member of a specific Active Directory group. Members of the group that is configured in the application settings for the frontend application are allowed access to continue with the deployment. Each login attempt through the frontend is logged in the event log for the frontend.
- Visible task sequences in the drop-down menu for the Deploy section can now be restricted based upon Active Directory group memberships. This require additional configuration and only works when the Authenticate section is enabled, so see the detailed instructions further down in this document for how to use this new capability.
- For the Apps section, there’s quite a few changes made in this version. Instead of requiring additional deployments for applications to show up in the frontend, applications being shown in the tree view are now based on a new XML file named AppConfig.xml that defines the folder structure and the administrative category in Configuration Manager associated with a folder. This change allows for a custom folder layout within the tree view and easier management of what applications are shown. Apps section is now also loaded directly when the frontend has started.
- In the User section, it’s now automatically loads the existing UDA relations for the device when there are any available. They’re shown in a data grid similar to what’s used for the Roles section. It’s also possible to clear these existing relations, for scenarios like when the device is re-assigned to another user.
- FirmwareType and BIOS version properties have been added to the Computer Details.
- Aspect propertions for the logo.bmp file is now 160x90px.
- There’s a new application setting named ComputerDetectionType that controls the property used from WMI when the frontend is attempting to identify the computer it’s running on. Previously, this was hard-coded for the UUID (SMBIOS GUID), but it can now be set to the MacAddress also, if needed.
- xml file has been renamed to RegionalConfig.xml to follow the same naming standard as the rest of the XML files loaded by the frontend.
- Sample code for running DaRT is now available in the PrestartCommand.ps1 file.
- An error is now shown when the Apply button is clicked, but there’s no task sequences selected.
- All referenced assemblies that previously was external to the frontend are now embedded in OSDFrontEnd.exe.
- Removed application settings from the OSDFrontEnd.exe.config file:
ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd 1.3.0 requires ConfigMgr WebService 1.5.0. You can download ConfigMgr WebService from below:
DOCUMENTATION AND USAGE
Embedded in the download package for ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd is a PDF file called ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd 1.3.0 – Documentation. This file contains all the information regarding how to get started, detailed explanation of how to use the frontend and some tips and tricks.