Upgrade ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 clients with the CU2 update
Microsoft has now released the Cumulative Update 2 for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1. If you havn’t install the update yet, follow my installation guide which you can find here: http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2013/06/25/install-configmgr-2012-sp1-cu2-in-your-hierarchy/
Once you’ve installed the CU2, it’s time to deploy the update to your ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 clients. This blog post will cover the steps needed. I assume that you’ve followed the instructions above, or atleast have the packages created from the installation wizard.
- Install the CU2
- Locate the CU2 Client upgrade packages
- Distribute the packages to your DP’s
- Create a collection with ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 clients for targeting the deployment
- Deploy the CU2 to your ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 clients
Install the CU2
As mentioned previously, please refer to this blog post: http://www.scconfigmgr.com/2013/06/25/install-configmgr-2012-sp1-cu2-in-your-hierarchy/
Locate the CU2 Client upgrade packages
1. Open your Configuration Manager console and navigate to Software Library.
2. Expand Application Management, Packages and Configuration Manager Updates.
3. If the installation wizard of CU2 was successfull, you should see two packages for Client upgrade. They are called:
- SP1 Cumulative update 2 – x64 client update – <site_code>
- SP1 Cumulative update 2 – x86 client update – <site_code>
Distribute the packages to your DP’s
1. Select package SP1 Cumulative update 2 – x64 client update – P01, right-click and choose Distribute Content. Click Next.
2. Click Add and choose your preferred method of distributing the packages. I’m using a Distribution Point Group.
3. Click Next and Next again. When the wizard is finished, click Close.
4. Repeat the step 1-3 for the SP1 Cumulative update 2 – x86 client update – P01 package.
Create a collection with ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 clients for targeting the deployment
1. Navigate to Assets and Compliance.
2. Select Device Collections, right-click and choose Create Device Collection.
3. In the Name field, type Systems with ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Clients and choose All Systems as the Limiting collection. Click Next.
4. In the Membership Rules page, click Add Rule and choose Query Rule.
5. In the Name field, type Systems with ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Clients.
6. Click on Edit Query Statement.
7. Select the Criteria tab and click the yellow star.
8. Click on Select.
9. In the Attribute class drop down menu, choose System Resource.
10. In the Attribute drop down menu, choose Client Version. Click on OK.
11. Click on Value and choose 5.00.7804.1000. Click OK.
12. Click on OK until you get back to the Create Device Collection Wizard.
13. Change the schedule the collection membership will be updated on, so that it fits your environment. Click Next.
14. Click Next and Close when the wizard is completed.
NOTE! If you’ve already deployed the Cumulative Update 1, create a collection for those clients as well. The attribute for the Client Version should be 5.0.7804.1202 instead. It’s always a good idea to make sure you don’t miss any clients.
Deploy the CU2 to your ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 clients
1. Navigate to Software Library, Application Management, Packages and Configuration Manager Updates.
2. Select the SP1 Cumulative update 2 – x64 client update – P01 package. Right click and choose Deploy.
3. Click Browse next to the Collection field.
4. Locate and select the Systems with ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Clients collection. Click OK.
5. Click Next and Next again.
6. Leave the default settings on the Deployment Settings page. Click Next.
7. On the Scheduling page, click New.
8. Determine when you’d like to deploy this package to your clients. In this blog post, we’ll be deploying it by choosing Assign immediately after this event – As soon as possible. But if you’d like to schedule the deployment according to your maintenance windows, choose Assign to the following schedule and configure the schedule by clicking on Schedule. Click OK.
9. Leave the rest of the settings on the Scheduling page by their defaults. Click Next.
10. On the User Experience page, configure what’s gonna be allowed when the assignment schedule time is reached. For the purpose of demonstration and since the environment is using maintenance windows, we’ll be selecting Software installation. Click Next.
11. Leave the defaults on the Distribution Points page, click Next.
12. Click Next on the Summary page.
13. Click Close.
14. If you’ve x86 clients in your environment, repeat steap 1-13 for the SP1 Cumulative update 2 – x86 client update – P01 package.
Check client version
1. Log on to a client.
2. Open Control Panel, click on System and Security and then Configuration Manager.
3. On the General tab under Client Properties, you’ll see which version the local client is running.
ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 – 5.00.7804.1000
ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU1 – 5.00.7804.1202
ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU2 – 5.00.7804.1300
Principal Consultant and Enterprise Mobility MVP since 2016. Nickolaj has been in the IT industry for the past 10 years specializing in Enterprise Mobility and Security, Windows devices and deployments including automation. Currently working for TrueSec as a Principal Consultant. Awarded as PowerShell Hero in 2015 by the community for his script and tools contributions. Creator of ConfigMgr Prerequisites Tool, ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd, ConfigMgr WebService to name a few. Frequent speaker at conferences and user groups.