Having the misfortune of a sudden battery failure on my laptop the other day, it got me thinking about how we monitor laptop health across our environment. Wouldn’t it be cool if I could monitor battery health for all laptops in my organisation and get them to raise support tickets if they found their battery health was failing.

So once again going back to one of the most under utilised and powerful features of configuration manager (CI & CB), I set up a configuration item and baseline to perform the following actions

1. Query the machine WMI for the manufactures max charge spec
  2. Query the WMI for the current max charge
  3. Compare the two values
  4. Should the battery health be below a set value (in my example below I used a very high value at 99%, obviously this is just for testing however I would recommend ~40% for real world monitoring) generate a full battery status report and email it to our IT Helpdesk using a template containing the Make, Model and Serial number of the laptop with the issue:

Email Notification

Attachment – Battery Health Report

Microsoft Script Library Link – https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Laptop-Battery-Health-98d1dc60
N
ote:
This script requires Windows 8 upwards if you require the battery report attachment.

UPDATE – 24/2/2017

Following feedback from the community I have updated the script to allow environments with no internal SMTP relay or port 25 access to external SMTP servers to save the reports to a network share.

When the script runs and you use the -NetworkReport $true in the function call it will generate a CSV with the required values to generate an email and the battery report, the goal here is to get your reports saved to a server with access to the network share and SMTP ACL access. In this instance a new secondary script (which I have included in the updated link on the MS script link) can be scheduled to run on this server in order to generate the notifications to your helpdesk.

Things To Note:

You might want to consider including a date filter on line 51 in the LaptopBatteryNotifier.ps1 script so the helpdesk don’t receive mulitple emails for the same machine over time. For instance you could schedule the script to run every 7 days and only include machine reports within that period by changing the line to;

$Computers = Get-ChildItem -Path $NetworkShare |  where-object {$_.LastWriteTime -gt (Get-Date).AddDays(-7)

If you are using this method make sure that the share has permissions for at least the Domain Computers and the account you are running the LaptopBatteryNotifier script to have full permissions to the share / folder. I would recommend that this folder is a hidden share in this instance.

Here is how it is done

Create A Configuration Item

Open the SCCM Management console and under Assets and Compliance\Compliance  Settings select Configuration Item. Now create a new Configuration Item

Select Operating Systems

Pick the Operating Systems that you which to apply the CI to:

Add Settings

Click on New on this screen and select “Script” under Settings Type:

Discovery Script

Now enter your Discovery script (LaptopBatteryCheck.ps1 from the ZIP file). No remediation script is required unless you want to separate the email function.

Create A New Rule

Here we will select the settings previously created and set a target value for the new rule

Now the Configuration Item is in place, we can go onto setting up the Baseline to deploy to your chosen Collection.

Create A New Configuration Baseline

Create your new Configuration Baseline, Select the Configuration Item you set up in the previous steps and click OK.

The Final Step is to deploy your newly created Configuration Baseline to a chosen collection.

As always folks, please keep your PowerShell version installations up to date for compatibility.

Maurice Daly
Maurice has been working in the IT industry since 1999 and was awarded his first MVP Enterprise Mobility award in 2017. Technology focus includes Active Directory, Group Policy, Hyper-V, Windows Deployment (SCCM & MDT) and Office 365.

comments
  • Mike Riston
    Posted at 17:06 February 21, 2017
    Mike Riston

Epic stuff! I’ve modified your script into just a standalone function I can have in my bag-o-tools! Thanks for the hard work!

The only thing I changed aside from parameterizing the variables used in the script, was to flip your $SendEmailNotice from a bool to a Switch. It prevents me from having to type $true to get it to kick.

That one small change and adding an ICM -Computername and a few -Computer flags on GWMI, and this is an excellent tool for on-demand diagnostics.

• Adrian
    Posted at 06:49 February 22, 2017
    Adrian

Awesome work, it’s been really insightful with our staff fleet! Is there any reason you recommend 40% as the limit in production and not a higher value like 60% or 70% ?

Cheers

• Maurice Daly
      Posted at 06:56 February 22, 2017
      Maurice Daly

Hi Adrian

It’s really what value you and your hardware provider are happy with. On setting this up I found that 40% was the normal point for laptops to start reporting the issue on post, as many users would ignore it I thought this would help IT Helpdesks be informed of the issue.

• Nathan
    Posted at 13:35 February 23, 2017
    Nathan

Is it possible to add more than one recipient? I have tried the following listed below.

$Recipient = “email@email.com”,”email2@email.com” – No error but email never goes through

$Recipient = (’email@email.com,email2@email.com’) – Invalid character was found in mail header

• Maurice Daly
      Posted at 14:07 February 23, 2017
      Maurice Daly

Try $Recipient = @(“recipient1@domain.com”,”recipient2@domain.com”)

• Nathan
        Posted at 13:40 February 24, 2017
        Nathan

Same result. No error but no email.

• Maurice Daly
          Posted at 13:44 February 24, 2017
          Maurice Daly

So technically a different result ;-). Have you confirmed that you have port 25 access to your SMTP server? Run the contents of the function and you’ll get a better idea of what the issue is.

• Chris
    Posted at 18:18 February 23, 2017
    Chris

Seriously I love this! I did have one question. I modified the script for my environment including mail system, etc. when copying the script info into the CI item. I am not getting emails from my SCCM server even though it is whitelisted to send email. I went into the SCCM email settings and the test email works but the script properties I pasted into the CI isn’t generating the alert if it is non-compliant. I was able to get my laptop machine whitelisted to send email as a test and the script works fine if I run it via PowerShell. Any ideas? Loved the output and how you got this working.

• Maurice Daly
      Posted at 19:06 February 23, 2017
      Maurice Daly

Hi Chris. The script is executed on the clients so they will need port 25 access to your SMTP server directly. If this can’t be achieved for security reasons I could provide a script that would provide a work around by saving the client reports to a share, then a second script would poll the folders for health reports and generate SMTP traffic direct from the server.

• Chris
        Posted at 19:21 February 23, 2017
        Chris

That would be awesome. I don’t think I could get this opened for the security implications. The other option would be awesome if you could swing it.

• Flip
    Posted at 21:08 February 23, 2017
    Flip

Hi Maurice, is there an change to get this runing on Windows 7?

• Maurice Daly
      Posted at 21:26 February 23, 2017
      Maurice Daly

The battery report is only available from Windows 8 and up unfortunately. I’m in an all Windows 10 environment so I have focused on that, however I’l have a look at Windows 7 and as long as the WMI objects are available then the email notice could be generated minus the attachment with only a small mod to the script.

• Martin
        Posted at 14:33 February 28, 2017
        Martin

+1 – Would love to get this working on windows 7 as well!

• nbb359
    Posted at 17:09 February 24, 2017
    nbb359

This is great! A question I have is if you (or anyone) has had luck using this with HP laptops, specifically the ProBook line? In testing I was getting the exact same value for the design capacity and the full charge capacity. I’ll look at modifying it so if the model is, say, a HP ProBook 650 G1 model I will hard-code the design capacity.

–Neal

• Maurice Daly
      Posted at 17:47 February 24, 2017
      Maurice Daly

Hi Neal, the company I work for uses Dell hardware so I haven’t any HP devices to test. I’ll ask around a few of my contacts to see if they share your experience.

• John Morrell
    Posted at 15:21 February 28, 2017
    John Morrell

top work Maurice, just implemented this in to test . We use mostly use Lenovo so it doesn’t populate the the make/model in the email though in the report is the full information

• Dylan
    Posted at 03:02 March 29, 2017
    Dylan

Brilliant!

Can you do a similar one for hard drive failures?

• CypherBit
    Posted at 12:27 March 31, 2017
    CypherBit

Thank you for this, I implemented in on our pilot group and while about half the computers reported Compliant, the other half reported as Error, Description “Incorrect function”. I also tested on a VM and that was reported as Unknown, “Client check failed/Active”, which is probably expected.