Lenovo Driver Automation Tool
DeployEverything Lenovo Driver Download Automation Tool
This is the third in the series of “DeployEverything Driver Download Tools”, this time focusing on Lenovo hardware. If you are running Lenovo client machines and using MDT or SCCM for deployment, this tool automates a significant part of preparing your environment for the deployment of these machines, via the process of downloading, extracting, importing and packaging of drivers.
The script works by reading an XML from Lenovo’s site, reading in the XML and doing some other bits in the background to display the full list of Lenovo driver packages in an easy to read format.
So summarise it does the following;
The tool automates the following processes;
- Reads in the XML containing model details
- Displays Lenovo Driver Packages based on the OS selection within the GUI
- Creates Folders For Each Model
- Downloads the selected model driver files
- Extracts the driver files
- Imports the drivers into SCCM, MDT or Both
- Create a Category based on the machine model
- Create a Driver Package based on the machine model and OS
- Imports the associated drivers into the newly created Driver Package
The job progress log window will automatically scroll at each step of the process and provide feedback.
Job Importing Drivers into SCCM
Job Importing Drivers into MDT
Microsoft Script Library Link – https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Lenovo-Driver-Automation-040751e4
How To Run The Script
Launch the script from an administrative PowerShell window using an account with rights to your SCCM site server (if using the SCCM query option)
Enter the name of your SCCM site server and click “Connect to SCCM” if you wish to run an SCCM enabled import job, otherwise select MDT. The list of Lenovo models will auto populate and then select your OS before selecting the model / model family driver packages you require.
Things To Note
- Direct internet access is required.
- Import driver jobs can take considerable time, this is the same for OEM tools but something to be aware of as the GUI remains static during this process at present. If you are downloading drivers for multiple models you might wish to run this overnight.
- Lenovo driver packs for Windows 8.1 and 10 at the present time are for 64 bit versions of the operating system only.
- IE ESC will generate pop up’s during the running process. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a way around this due to the way in which the exe links are obtained.
Version 1.0 – Initial release.
Version 1.1 – Bug fix for Lenovo web content change
Version 1.2 – Proxy settings added and bug fix for SCCM downloads. Added percentage and KB output for downloads when SCCM/BOTH is selected.
Version 1.3 – Proxy setting sections updated, additional checks added.
Version 1.4 – Windows 7 bug fix.
Importing INF Drivers into SCCM
Driver Repository Packages
Driver Packages Created
SCCM :Carbon X1 Generation 4 Diver Pack Contents
MDT: Carbon X1 Generation 4 Diver Pack Contents
SPECIAL THANK YOU
Goes out to Joe Parker (https://twitter.com/joe_lenovo?lang=en) in Lenovo for assisting with the XML creation and ongoing support for the production version using a Lenovo hosted XML.
Maurice has been working in the IT industry for the past 18 years and currently working in the role of Principal Consultant with TrueSec. With a focus on OS deployment through SCCM/MDT, group policies, active directory, virtualisation and office 365, Maurice has been a Windows Server MCSE since 2008 and was awarded Enterprise Mobility MVP in March 2017.