About two months ago, the first version of the ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd was released. Since then, a lot of requests for new features have been sent to me. Today, I’m pleased to announce ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd version 1.1.0 that includes most of these feature requests.
ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd can be downloaded from the TechNet Gallery using the following link:
ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd version 1.1.0 includes the following new functionality in addition to what’s already available in 1.0.0:
- New Apps section for application installation, provides functionality to specify mandatory applications including optional.
- Support for disabling Role, Regional, Apps and User sections. This will not disable the controls inside each tab-page, instead the disabled sections will not be shown at all.
- Regional section header text can now be renamed by using RegionalTabHeaderText application setting, allowing for a maximum of 8 characters.
- A welcome screen showing a title and message text, including Continue and Cancel buttons have been added. This message screen could also be utilized as a warning message that the computer is about to be deployed.
- A splash-screen has been built for the frontend showing different loading stages before the main window appears.
- Unknown computer objects can now be removed from within the frontend, if detected by the web service. This provides desktop technicians to be able to re-initiate a failed deployment.
- New preflight check for supported computer models that compares the computer being deployed against a list of supported models located on a web server, configurable via TestSupportedHardwareFileLocation.
- Frontend will not attempt to format the system volume when running in debug mode and FormatDiskWhenEncrypted is set to True, once the Apply button is clicked.
- SQL Server related application settings in the frontend has been removed, as they were duplicate to what’s configure for the web service.
- When the splash-screen is loading the frontend software, if the specified web service endpoint address is not reachable, a prompt appears instead of causing the frontend to crash.
- There’s now an animation when switching between tabs in the frontend.
- A padding issue with data shown in different data grids in the frontend software has been fixed.
- When a computer is added to a role in the MDT database, and the computer object didn’t exist previously, now when the frontend creates the object it also populates the Description field with the computer name.
If you have an idea that you think would be suitable for this application, please contact me on twitter or via email to further discuss how we can make that happen.
DOCUMENTATION AND USAGE
Embedded in the download package for ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd is a PDF file called ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd 1.1.0 – Documentation. This file contains all the information regarding how to get started, detailed explanation of how to use the frontend and some tips and tricks.
Principal Consultant and Enterprise Mobility MVP since 2016. Nickolaj has been in the IT industry for the past 10 years specializing in Enterprise Mobility and Security, Windows devices and deployments including automation. Currently working for TrueSec as a Principal Consultant. Awarded as PowerShell Hero in 2015 by the community for his script and tools contributions. Creator of ConfigMgr Prerequisites Tool, ConfigMgr OSD FrontEnd, ConfigMgr WebService to name a few. Frequent speaker at conferences and user groups.